Saturday, May 4, 2013

White Cheddar, Apple & Honeycomb Grilled Cheese





Chapter 1- Hattie Is 21 going on 45. 

I was taking my nanny kids to tennis practice, and a group of teenagers on 
bikes rode past us asking me if I was their mom. 

"No" I said. "I'm just their nanny."
to which they said 
"Aw yeah, get that paper!"

In less than 2 seconds I was calling for the kids to stop walking
as I dropped frantically to my knees to search under the SUV for said paper,
deeply concerned that I had dropped an important
receipt, or god forbid one of their sticker books and/or paper cutouts of cats. 

Later, on the bus, I heard a rap song through some kid's headphones where 
he sang about getting paper. 

That means money, guys. 
Paper is money. 

Like, could I borrow some swag from somebody for a little bit? 
My deficiency is killing my street credit around the tennis club. 
Hardcore. 


So in honor of the sticky glory of paper motherhood, 
I give you a sweet, sticky, and playful little sandwich. 







Apples and honey are classically perfect for each other, only to be 
made more handsome when they let the sharp, saltiness of aged white cheddar
into the club house. 

My friends, that is a club house I would like to stay in all day long. 

This sandwich tastes great grilled up in a bit of butter and served as a breakfast 
or afternoon snack. 

And to boot, it leaves an incredible aftertaste in your mouth to carry you through nap time. 
Judge away, kids. Nap time rocks. 







There isn't much to explain as far as a recipe goes. 
Simply spread some honey, or in my case some thick, sweet honeycomb on two
slices of your bread of choice (I used a french loaf.)
Layer thin slices of tart apple and sharp white cheddar. 
Grill it on the stove top with a bit of butter, 
or throw it in the oven at 350 for 5-7 minutes.
Nibble. Rip the crust off.
 Let cheese and honey drip all over yourself
in a gorgeous cascade of mess. 

Be 5. Or 45. Who's counting. 















No comments:

Post a Comment